The NWPM BackPack Program meets the needs of hungry children by providing them with nutritious and easy-to-prepare food to take home on weekends & school vacations. Each Thursday of the school year we are sending BackPacks with children who are enrolled in Chapman Elementary School and either currently live in homeless shelters, or who are referred to the program by the School Socialworker. This program is entirely volunteer run, and coordinated by NWPM.
Essential Elements of the BackPack Program:
1) Identify Leader & Helper Volunteers for current week
2) List & count out items to be included in each BackPack (flexible)
3) Pack up Back Packs prior to 1 PM on Thursday
4) Deliver full BackPacks to Chapman Elementary School between 1 & 2 PM (This may require multiple trips or vehicles).
5) Track volunteer hours, supplies that need to ordered, any other important notes to keep the program running successfully.
6) Empty backpacks need to be picked up on Fridays between 1 & 2 PM.
Other Key Elements include: Ordering supplies, soliciting donations, recruiting new volunteers, promoting the program, summarizing efforts for reporting needs, & making improvements.
To learn more, donate or volunteer for the NWPM BackPack Program contact
Kelly Caldwell, 503-413-5530 Kelly@nwpm.org
NWPM Volunteer Program Manager